SPANISH 1, PART 1
Price: $125 | Credits: One Semester | Dept: Languages | Course ID# 251-1
This course is the first semester of Spanish 1. This course teaches basic language patterns and vocabulary. The focus is on all four language skills; reading, writing, speaking and listening as well as the culture of the Spanish speaking world. Topics covered include common expressions of greeting, introductions, nouns and articles, the Spanish alphabet, numbers, vocabulary associated with school, friends, family, and names for people, as well as present tense conjugations. Spanish 1 is approved by the University of California A-G as a language other than English (category E).
Upon completion of this course, the student is awarded 5 credits. Each credit corresponds to 15 hours of study. Of course, some students work more quickly than others, and some can devote more hours to study, so some students are able to complete the course in an accelerated rate.
In this module, students gain a comprehension of the following:
- Greetings and goodbyes, identifying themselves and others, expressions of courtesy, as well as nouns and articles.
- The basics of the alphabet and numbers, including vowel and consonant pronunciation, numbers from 0-100, how to tell the time, the days of the week, months and dates.
- How to form questions and use the verb estar (to be) in the present tense.
- How to conjugate present tense regular -ar, -er and -ir verbs as well as the verbs tener (to have) and venir (to come).
- The vocabulary for school, classroom items/expressions and school subjects.
- The vocabulary for family and friends including how to describe themselves and others using adjectives, adjective nouns agreements and the verbs ser and estar.
- Vocabulary having to do with pastimes, hobbies, sports and places.
- Express likes and dislikes using the verb gustar (to like/be pleasing to), say where people go using the verb, ir (to go) and learn the formation of stem changing present tense verbs.
This course covers the following topics:
- ¡Bienvenidos! (Welcome)
- El alfabeto y los números (Alphabet and numbers)
- En la clase (In class/school)
- Las personas; la familia y los amigos (people; family and friends)
- Los pasatiempos (pastimes, hobbies and interests)