GEOMETRY, PART 2
Price: $95 | Credits: 5 | Dept: Math | Course ID# 223-2
This course is the second semester of Geometry and includes right triangles and trigonometry, quadrilaterals and other polygons, circles, areas & perimeters of polygons, surface area and volume, and transformations. This course is typically taken as the second part in a sequence including Geometry (Part 1) or is taken alone to satisfy credits for the second semester of Geometry. Geometry is approved by the University of California A-G as mathematics (category C).
Upon completion of this course, the student is awarded 5 credits. Each credit corresponds to 15 hours of study. Of course, some students work more quickly than others, and some can devote more hours to study, so some students are able to complete the course in an accelerated rate.
In this module, students gain a comprehension of the following:
- How to solve right triangles and the application of the pythagorean theorem.
- How to use the six trigonometric functions; sin, cos, tan, csc, sec, and cot.
- Using angles of depression and elevation to solve word problems.
- To classify and solve quadrilaterals, including trapezoids, kites, rectangles, squares, and trapezoids.
- How to find the sum of the interior and exterior angles of a polygon, as well as a single interior or exterior angle.
- To determine between convex and concave polygons.
- To identify key parts of a triangle including tangents, secants, chords, diameters, radii, and circumference.
- How to find arc measures and inscribed angles.
- How to graph a circle on a coordinate plane as well as how to construct the equation for a particular circle, given its graph.
- To calculate the perimeters and areas of different polygons.
- To calculate the area of regular polygons with more than 4 sides.
- How to calculate the surface area and volume of different shapes, including prisms, pyramids, cones, and spheres.
- To understand and execute transformations, including translations, reflections, rotations, and dilations.
- This course covers the following topics:
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Special Right Triangles
- Six Trig Functions: sin, cos, tan, sec, cosec, cot
- Angles of Elevation and Depression
- Polygon Angle Sum Theorem
- Interior & Exterior Angles of Regular Polygons
- Rhombuses, Rectangles, and Squares
- Trapezoids & Kites
- Convex vs. Concave Polygons
- Tangent Lines
- Secant Lines
- Finding Arc Measures
- Inscribed Angles
- Graphing Cicles on the Coordinate Plane
- Area & Circumference of Circles
- Perimeters of Polygons
- Areas of Triangles
- Areas of Parallelograms
- Areas of Trapezoids
- Areas of Rhombuses
- Areas of Kites
- Areas of Regular Polygons
- Areas of Sectors of Circles
- Arc Lengths in Circles
- Surface Area of Prisms
- Surface Area of Cylinders
- Surface Area of Pyramids
- Surface Area of Cones
- Volumes of Prisms
- Volumes of Cylinders
- Volumes of Pyramids
- Volumes of Cones
- Surface Area & Volume of Spheres
- Translations, Reflections, Rotations
- Composition of Transformations