BIOLOGY, PART 1
Price: $95 | Credits: 5 | Dept: Science
This course is designed to be the first semester of Biology and includes a laboratory component. The course topics include the basics of life, including key chemistry concepts and basic definitions necessary to understand the topic. It also covers, ecology and the biosphere, the cell, including the function and structure of organelles, genetics, evolution, bacteria, protists, and viruses.
In order to satisfy the University of California A-G requirements for a biology course, three components are required. The first is our online course, the second is a wet lab, and the third is a wet lab instructor. Our online biology course provides the curriculum with videos, quizzes, assignments and final. The wet lab and instructor have to be sourced separately. They are not provided by SVHS.
Lab Kit Requirement (Note: this companion kit is not included in this course and needs to be purchased separately)
The kit can be purchased from Quality Science Labs and delivered through the mail. This kit has been designed by SVHS and Quality Science Labs to accompany this course. The same kit can be used for Part 2 of this course–only one kit needs to be purchased for students taking Biology Part 1 and Part 2. To receive a discount on the lab kit, enroll in biology and use the customer code provided in the course.
To meet the A-G standards, the University of California requires a teacher-supervised hands-on lab component that accounts for at least 20% of the class time. The instructor can be a teacher, or a tutor. Unfortunately, it’s not possible for a parent to act as the instructor, unless the parent is a credentialed science teacher. Some schools have wet lab facilities and some mobile wet lab companies offer the instructor and all the facilities in a van or truck that visits various schools and other locations. There are also specialist science camps that provide the wet lab component such as Lab Rat Academy.
Lab Details and Descriptions
Detailed instructions for the live labs are provided in the lab kit. Click here for a summary description of the labs covered in this course.
Credits & Study Hours
Upon completion of this course, the student is awarded 5 credits. Each credit corresponds to 15 hours of study. Of course, some students work more quickly than others, and some can devote more hours to study, so some students are able to complete the course in an accelerated rate.
In this module, students gain a comprehension of the following:
- What the study of life entails, including the definition of Biology as well as the key aspects of the Chemistry principles involved in Biology.
- The principles of the biosphere, ecosystems and communities, populations, and how humans have impacted the biosphere.
- The basics of cell structure, photosynthesis, cellular respiration, and the mechanism behind mitosis and meiosis.
- The growing field of genetics, including heredity, replication, transcription & translation, as well as genetic modification.
- The key principles of evolution, including Darwin’s theory, speciation, the fossil record, and classification.
- Bacteria, viruses, and protists, as well as how they interact with human populations.
This course covers the following topics:
- The Study of Life
- Ecology & the Biosphere
- The Basic Unit of Life
- Bacteria, Viruses, & Protists
- 5 Credits – $95
- First semester of Biology