ALGEBRA 1, PART 2
Price: $95 | Credits: 5 | Dept: Math | Course ID# 221-2
In this second semester of Algebra 1, topics covered includes exponenets and polynomials, factoring polynomials, quadratic functions and equations, rational functions and equations, and radical and exponential functions. These are all topics that are covered on typical standardized tests, such as the SAT and the ACT. Algebra 1 is approved by the University of California A-G as mathematics (category C).
Upon completion of this course, the student is awarded 5 credits. Each credit corresponds to 15 hours of study. Of course, some students work more quickly than others, and some can devote more hours to study, so some students are able to complete the course in an accelerated rate.
In this course, students gain a comprehension of the following:
- The functions of exponents and polynomials and how to add/subtract them.
- How to choose a factoring method and subsequently factor polynomials.
- How to solve quadratic equations using various methods (such as by factoring).
- How to solve rational functions and equations.
- How to solve radical equations and use exponential functions.
- The basic concepts of statistics and data analysis.
This course covers the following topics:
- Integer Exponents
- Powers of 10 and Scientific Notation
- Multiplication Properties of Exponents
- Division Properties of Exponents
- Fractional Exponents
- Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
- Multiplying Polynomials
- Special Products of Binomials
- Factors and Greatest Common Factors
- Factoring by GCF
- Factoring ax^2 +bx +c
- Factoring Special Products
- Choosing a Factoring Method
- Quadratic Equations and Functions
- Characteristics of Quadratic Equations
- Graphing Quadratic Functions
- Solving Quadratic Equations by Graphing
- Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring
- Solving Quadratic Equations by Using Square Roots
- Completing the Square
- The Quadratic Formula
- The Discriminant
- Inverse Variation
- Graphing Rational Functions
- Simplifying Rational Expressions
- Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions
- Adding and Subtracting Rational Equations
- Dividing Rational Polynomials
- Solving Rational Expressions
- Square- Root Functions
- Radical Expressions
- Computations with Radical Expressions
- Solving Radical Equations
- Geometric Sequence
- Exponential Functions
- Linear, Quadratic, and Exponential Models
- Mean, Median, Mode, Range and Standard Deviation
- Box and Whisker Plot
- Distributions – Right, Left, and Zero Skewed
- Quantitative vs Qualitative
- Scatter Plots and Trend Lines